Monday, March 16, 2015

"Warm Welcomes" and "Cold Showers"



I sit here at @ 8:12 PM in our eating area of the guesthouse in Haiti attempting to write my discoveries in our first 2 full days of working on planning, and playing with the children of the Source de Lumiere orphanage just 3 or so blocks down the street from where we are living this week.

Let me start with "Warm Welcomes" which began just after touchdown at Port au Prince Airport (PAP), including a local band playing Caribbean music that met us as we entered the airport.  They continued as we met some of our translators and Pastor Ronel, our host for our two week mission trip.  The staff at our guesthouse made us feel welcome at the front steps.

The "Warm Welcomes" were again present Sunday morning as we attended Pastor Ronel's Church in Martissant.  Hellos and Bon Jours were repeated at every new face I saw.

As they day progressed I was also introduced to the real" Warm Welcome" of the weather of Haiti.  My weather app on my phone said it was 94 degrees but the actual feel read as 104 degrees.  Once we left the coolness of the airport, I knew what tropical heat was!!

Sunday afternoon we went to the Orphanage to play with the children.  We brought a parachute and a ball and then the children started to run under the parachute as it was in the air.  "Un, Deux, Trois, Anba (Creole for Under) became the chant in the courtyard for this group   
Other smaller groups played with puzzles, jump ropes, and kickballs.  Shantia read an English/French book to many small ones at least 9 or 10 times.  "Warm Welcoming" laughter filled the air.

Today, Monday, we spent many hours at the orphanage with a local Tailor who was evaluating 7 sewing machines that we were readying for the new sewing group that we hope will turn into a small business enterprise.  In addition to that, Shantia, David and I took the opportunity with Manese, Ronaldine, and JJ to go through several bags and suitcases and one t  Another opportunity came when we discussed with Manese, Ronaldine and JJ the possibility of getting some shelving made to go into a room where they could store clothing items already sorted for the sizes of the children. 
runk that we discovered contained clothing for the children at the orphanage (it was there as storage but it was not sorted) and much fabric and thread that had been donated, which means we do not need to purchase these items for the sewing students who will be given lessons by the Tailor the end of this week and possibly next week.
We got a “Yes that would be helpful” so we will try to make that happen while we are here. 

Now to the “Cold Showers” and other interesting reflections on my short time here.  Of course the “Cold Showers” was a surprise when I went to shower Sunday AM after breakfast.  If I was told this before coming here, I did not remember that little tidbit.  I did remember a few other words of wisdom—like disposing of used TP into garbage containers in the bathroom (sewer system works hard enough for water—do not add to the waste), and do not eat or drink anything that is not prepared by us at the guesthouse (lunches for us) or the staff at the guest house. 
Another easier “Cold Shower” surprise is that we get ice for our drinks at breakfast and dinner and the water dispensers in the guesthouse (bottled of course) give us cool water to fill our bottles before going forth into the heat. 
On the way to the orphanage this AM, Jonathan asked me about my impressions of Haiti so far.  I did start to read about Haiti before and after the Earthquake in January of 2012, so the “riverbed” roads reminded me of several of the lakes and streams in Arizona that are that way until the runoff comes down for the mountain lakes above Phoenix.  I saw the taptaps (local transportation in the form of either buses with seats or trucks with open seats) mentioned in the books, saw one of the few working traffic lights in Port au Prince, and was delighted with the “Cold Shower” surprise of an air conditioned grocery store (after several hours in the heat in church and in the car driving to the store).  An additional “Surprise” was finding myself looking out of the car and seeing a statue of Neg Mawon (a black man blowing a conch shell) who is the symbol of freedom for Haiti. 
Our translator/driver was happy to drive up to it so I could take a picture of him.  I saw this picture in one of the books I am reading and was delighted to see it up close.
Other impressions are of country really hurting from economic, political and now physical disaster from the devastating Earthquake of January 2012---but also of a warm welcoming people and very hot temperatures.  Driving through the City of Pot au Prince Saturday and Sunday I saw people living in huts of cardboard, working at stands on sidewalks, walking with baskets and bags upon their heads filled with wares to sell or food to eat.  I know that I will see more areas of extreme poverty and despair as the time goes on, but I was prepared for what I have seen so far. 
So “Warm Welcomes” and “Cold Showers” are like two sides of a coin at the moment and as I toss it up in the next 11 days I will take whatever side  I get with smile and a prayer.









 

1 comment: