Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Easy English Club

After wrapping a blood pressure cuff around many arms and unearthing French from the deeper corners of my brain to talk with patients briefly about their maladies, I was invited to The Easy English Club, a group of twentysomethings who met at the church to provide spiritual support to each other...and learn English.  Not only was I enamored by their song, their worship, and their prayers (all in English), and moved by their improvisational challenges to lead prayers here and there, I was delighted by their questions.  They explained that Haitians are "addicted" to worship and wondered about Americans,  if they fell away from their faith because they had jobs and forgot their priorities.  They asked me how I converted people and what it was like to live in a place where people had jobs.  They were confused about people who skipped church on Sunday, confident that they would be sick if they missed worship. 
Isn't it interesting what becomes a priority when all else seems to crumble away?

No comments:

Post a Comment